Thursday, August 25, 2011

Author Interview: Amy Miles


Eighteen-year-old Illyria Anderson has found the one thing she desires most.  But choosing him will bring about Earth’s destruction.  

A darkness is growing within Illyria’s soul, threatening to assume control of her mind and her unstable powers.  The sinister thoughts that flash before her eyes are filled with images too brutal to put into words.  For a normal person this wouldn’t be a problem.  Popping a few pills before heading to a weekly counseling session would be enough to control the insanity, but Illyria isn’t normal.  She’s not even sure she’s human.  The only thing she is sure of is that she’s dangerous. 

Bastien Lewis, a sinfully handsome stranger, is the only person who can bring Illyria back from the brink of destruction as she struggles to control her powers.  He’s the only one that isn’t afraid of her or the Darkness that threatens to unleash its devastating power on the universe.  But being near him is almost more than Illyria can bear when she learns that her destiny does not lie with Bastien, but with another.  Illyria must decide if her love for Bastien is worth giving up everything, even if the price to be paid is Earth’s enslavement.


Hello, everyone! I am so excited to share with you my interview with Amy Miles, author of Defiance Rising. Amy  lives in Southern Illinois with her husband and son, and is a proud stay-at-home mom.  When she’s not writing, Amy can be found goofing off with family, cuddled up on the couch with a good book, or helping to renovate her home.  Amy is currently working on Relinquish, the second book in her Defiance Rising Trilogy, which will be available Fall 2011.

What kind of reader are you? What are your favorite books? Who are your favorite authors? 

I’m an avid reader of teen books at the moment.  Always trying to do comparisons for my own book, Defiance Rising.  I’m the type that when I get a book that’s really good I will willingly give up a night of sleep just to finish it.  I love Mysteries, Romance, Adventures, Fantasy/Sci-Fi and Christian romance.  Some of my favorite authors are Sophie Jordan, J.K. Rowling, Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti, Janette Oke, Stephenie Meyer and I’m just now getting into reading Amanda Hocking’s books.

Please describe what your writing day is like. (your writing process including schedules, number of words or pages in a day, if any).   

As a stay at home mom my day’s can are never the same.  I write when I can, snatching bits here and there.  Typically my best time to write, which thankfully coincides with my moments of inspiration, are between 9pm and 2am.  The house is quiet and I can truly focus on my book.  Typically I will write for 3 to 4 hours a night, normally finishing a chapter or two depending on how easily it flows.  The one thing I am very strict about is making sure I write something every day.  Even if it’s only a paragraph.

Please describe your process of editing and revisions (including any work with your beta readers or critique partners and your editor).   

When I was writing Defiance Rising, I actually completed my entire rough draft in 3 days.  But…it took me 2 years to complete the book.  Most of that was because I doubted myself as a writer, but a lot of it was rewrites, editing and more rewrites.  Even after all of that work I still found silly typos.
Editing is far more critical than writing the book.  If it doesn’t flow, if your threads aren’t tied together perfectly or if people find themselves stumbling over typo after typo, then no matter how good your content is, your readers will get a negative impression.  So even though it may feel tedious, put in the time to make your manuscript perfect. 

Who are your writing mentors or models?  

I learned a lot from reading Sophie Jordan’s books.  I’ve always been a descriptive writer, but her books opened my eyes to just how powerful words can truly be.  Sometimes reading a historical romance is all you need to expand your vocabulary. 

I grew up reading countless books by countless authors and each one of them impacted me as a writer.  Each one taught me a new style, a new idea or expanded my skills as a writer.  I’m a firm believer that in order to be a good writer you have to be a good reader.

How would you describe your work?

The word work isn’t even in my vocabulary.  Doing what you love, what you’re passionate about is never work.  I spend a couple hours throughout the day promoting Defiance Rising, and working on my blog www.self-published-authors.blogspot.com to help promote other authors.  Self promotion is by far more tiring than writing a book!  But all of it is necessary to make a name for yourself.
           
What do you want your readers to take away from Defiance Rising? 

I didn’t want Defiance Rising to be another “in-thing.”  I didn’t want to write about vampires, werewolves, angels or any of the other fantasy themes swarming the teen sections today.  I wanted to write a book filled with action, excitement and also a love triangle to complicate things. 


Defiance Rising is a tale of one teenage girl’s journey to self-discovery, self-sacrifice and learning the ultimate meaning of love.  Illyria Anderson is just a normal girl faced with extraordinary circumstances.  I want teens to be able to sit back and think “what would I do if that were me?” 

What keeps you writing? 

I’m one of those authors that if I don’t write I feel like I will burst.  My mind never shuts down, never stops writing.  I can be standing at a bus stop and see a near miss of a car accident and my mind already begins playing out the scene, writing every detail of what I would jot down if I had a piece of paper. 

I had to learn early on that if I wanted to make sure my ideas were remembered the next day I had to keep a notebook beside my bed.  I could write pages of really good material while I lay tossing and turning at night but it’d be completely forgotten the next day. 

Writing is a passion of mine.  It’s not what I do, but who I am.  It’s an extension of me.  So writing could never just be a job, it’s a way of life.


Thank you, Amy! I can't wait to get a copy of your book.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment